Sunday, October 22, 2006

"Are You a Professional Player?"

"Are you a professional player?"

"Huh?"

Well... I was asked that question at dinner this week, sitting at the Outback restaurant bar eating my steak. The bartender, an attractive young Korean lady, didn't have many orders to fill. She took the time to practice her English skills, which I thought was good. Pronounciation and grammar were near perfect. Though she admitted that her vocabulary was weak.

I knew what she meant. If another Miguk saram was asked the same question, he would have thought she meant playaa, as in "playboy." But I knew she meant professional athlete.

"Why do you ask if I was a professional player?"

"Because you look like you are very fit and well built."

I could have toyed with the response. "Umm... Yeah, I played on the Pittsburg Steelers football team last year. Hynes Ward is my very good friend. I retired from professional sports after the Super Bowl. Now I live in Korea supervising the foundation Hynes set up."

Hehe... But being the good Marine that I am I told the truth. I told her I spent many years in the US Marine Corps... as a professional soldier of the sea.

I think I made a new friend at the Itaewon Outback restaurant in Seoul... : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home